According to a recent article from GlobeSt, US employment rose by 288,000 while unemployment to 6.3% last month. Among sectors, professional and business services, retail trade and food services were just some of the leaders in job postings.
Here are some highlights as reported by GlobeSt;
- Professional and business services added 75,000 jobs in April. Employment in this industry has been increasing by an average of 55,000 per month over the prior 12 months.
- Retail trade employment rose by 35,000 in April. Over the past 12 months, employment in this industry has grown by 327,000.
- Employment in construction grew by 32,000, with job growth in heavy and civil engineering construction and residential building. Construction has added 189,000 jobs over the past year, with almost three-fourths of the gain occurring in the past 6 months.
- Health care employment increased by 19,000 in April, in line with the prior 12-month average gain of 17,000 per month.
- Employment in other major industries, including manufacturing, transportation and warehousing, information, financial activities, and government, changed little over the month.