Judges have selected the Sweet 16 finalists for the fifth annual $50,000 Cade Museum Prize out of more than 80 entries.
The prize -- funded by the Community Foundation of North Central Florida -- is designed to help a Florida individual or company take a potentially viable commercial product or idea to the next level.
Participation in the contest has grown outside of the Gainesville area, according to a news release from the Cade Museum for Creativity + Invention. Seven of the finalists are from Gainesville.
Another round of judging will select the Final Four on April 8 before the winner is announced during a May 8 gala at Santa Fe College’s Fine Arts Hall.
Many prize participants have volunteered to teach classes about their inventions at the museum, said Phoebe Cade Miles, co-founder.
The finalists are:
- Advanced Technologies and Testing Laboratories, Tampa. Transformair -- Eliminates airborne bacteria, viruses, allergens, mold and volatile organic compounds.
- Advantek Consulting, Melbourne. ClimaStat -- Improves energy efficiency by 15-30 percent and doubles dehumidification capability.
- Aqua Mizer, Sarasota. A system that dramatically reduces water usage, improves flush performance and prevents water waste from leaking toilets.
- BioReNEW, Tampa. NEWgenerator -- Recovers and generates nutrients, energy and water from wastes.
- DBS Surgical Solutions, Gainesville. SureCap -- A cap that prevents the displacement of leads used for deep brain stimulation, a treatment for many neurological and neuropsychiatric disorders.
- Elebev, Miami. Sfiro -- Completely pure, pre-packaged ice spheres.
- Feathr, Gainesville. An app that makes it simple to connect and follow up with people you meet at events.
- I Media Reach, Winter Springs. immediaReach TV -- Turns a smartphone or tablet into HDTV at events.
- Impact Medical Strategies, Boca Raton. Bcl2 Diagnostic Kit -- A urine test to detect ovarian cancer.
- Innovatia Medical Systems, St. Petersburg. Miniature in vivo wirelessly networked medical device for minimally invasive surgery.
- Kinwa, Gainesville. Bubble -- An app that detects tagged items in all environments.
- Microspherix, Boca Raton. Entotherapy -- Drug delivery platform for the treatment of brain tumors.
- OneVax, Gainesville. Biomaterial-based microparticle vaccine for amelioration of autoimmune disease.
- Paracosm, Gainesville. Reality API -- Software that helps businesses build 3D maps of their facilities.
- Quantitative Medicine, Gainesville. Computational Research Engine (CoRE) -- Predictive analytics using active machine learning for faster drug discovery.
- Quick-Med Technologies, Gainesville. Stay Fresh -- An antimicrobial coating based on hydrogen peroxide.
For more Front Street News, click here...